Friday, September 10, 2010

Integrating our breath into mind

I posted this reply in a zhineng discussion group when I cam back from a holiday in Perth Australia:

on Sept. 10, 2010 Lim Kian Tee wrote:
Back in KL after sixteen hours at the airport and for the first time experience sleeping in a public place (All hotels fully booked). Not such a bad experience considering that we have everything at the airport. Food to eat when hungry. Window shopping when bored, etc. But I cannot say the same if one does not have spare cash when caught in such a situation.


Thanks again for your answer. I realized the importance of working on the lower back (and the entire spine) more than a year ago and has been diligently doing straight legs everyday for more than a year ever since. The changes I noticed (within myself) says it all and I can relate very well what you have just said. But I would venture further to add that of equal importance is the integration of our breath into our mind when practicing straight legs and other form of ZQ. Integration of breath means to me to be fully aware of our breathing during practice (just be gently aware... no need to control) and at all times if we can. It is a way to keep us in the NOW which will brings out the experience of joy, peace and tranquility during practice and at all times if one can stay connected with the breath even when not practicing. How do we know if we are connected with our breath? When we feel our movements as one continuous fluid motion... a truly blissful experience. Not only the pleasant feelings... we are also keenly aware of physical feelings of discomfort... a dull ache at that particular point in your shoulder which had been injured some years ago... Staying centered at this moment of NOW means observe these feelings with no judgment: neither welcoming the feelings of bliss nor reject the feeling of discomfort. Just be aware.

I have re-started my FOF (about half a year already) after stopping for a while. Because of my hard work on loosening the lumbar and the entire spine for more than a year (prior to re-starting FOF) I am glad to say that the reactions has not re-surfaced thus far and instead I find that I am more centered emotionally. More important I noticed that I am aware immediately whenever an emotion arises and because of this awareness am able to exert a certain degree of control over it. Rest assured, my friends, that what I have just said is truly my own experience. Something which I want to share with you guys apart from the well intentioned caution of Kean Hin in regards to FOF.

HYLT!
-Kian Tee


On 09-Sep-10 2:36 PM, Ooi Kean wrote:
Qigong practice is divided into 3 categories. Elementary level (LQU & BMF are elementary work of ZQ) does not involve much about the work on the mind. At the middle level (FOF is the middle level work of ZQ) the work on the mind is important. At the high level it is completely a matter of working the mind.

Quality of qi is determined by the quality of the mind, ie, how well we could remain at the middle at all times..... even while being stuck at the airport ;-)
FOF is the work on the body and mind. If the quantity of qi is enough, indicating that the lumbar capacity has grown large enough and the waist has loosened completely, then you need not work further on the body. If the quality of qi is high, the mind could stay at the middle at all times, then you need not have to work FOF, but solely on the cultivation of the mind. That's my understanding from Hunyuan Holistic theory.
hylt
okh

No comments:

Post a Comment